qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [5083] PPC: Switch a few instructions to TCG

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [5083] PPC: Switch a few instructions to TCG
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:33:11 +0200

Am 26.08.2008 um 00:25 schrieb J. Mayer:

<snip>

The sole reason I replied to your original message was that I did in fact perceive it as inappropriate and very rude towards Aurelien.

I did not argue about your code or activity, nor did I ask you to resign, I just called on you to be a little more reasonable than this don't-touch-my-code attitude and resulting noise. In doing so, I tried to show you some valid reasons why someone would commit in "your" code in an Open Source project, starting with that you did not write to the list what you supposedly did (maybe a language problem). Aurelien could have posted a patch first, yes, but still that is no reason for such an eruption of anger. Instead you could've stated the pure facts, mentioning what exactly conflicted, and tried to cooperate on fixing it instead of commanding your fellow committer to withdraw any changes of his just because they're in "your" code.

And I am not aware of any insult from my side.

Concerning OHW, it has a lot to do with the ppc targets because ppc- softmmu and ppc64-softmmu both use it exclusively, for all machine variations I tried. QEMU does not ship any other ppc ROM. No one has yet reported success in replacing it with any other OpenFirmware implementation to my knowledge, Laurent seemed closest recently. If someone somewhere has supposedly succeeded replacing OHW somehow, I ask you, does knowing that really help users of QEMU? CD/DVD booting is broken, making it impossible to set up a new ppc VM. There is no downloadable test image for ppc to check, so I recently tried a Haiku/ppc image and it didn't boot either. IDE status mismatches for both, despite the relaxed binary-only checks which your commit message does not describe. Earlier, pre-TCG, I reported getting to a yaboot prompt but it errored out shortly after with lots of apparently OHW related errors. So even if OHW is conceptually a different project, then, like for Bochs BIOS, QEMU relies on it working and needs a usable version out-of-tree or a diff against the out-of-tree version to apply the necessary fixes for QEMU. In an Open Source world I can't expect you to respond to my personal problems but since I wasn't doing anything fancy I consider it a general problem (it affected the released versions of Q using QEMU 0.9.0 and 0.9.1, and Fedora 9's KVM, for instance, and there was/is no known workaround). If you and anyone else have been happily running ppc-softmmu all along then you have not replied that to my messages telling me and others how you're doing it, nor replied whether the Linux images I had referenced work for you. I have mainly tried OSX/ ppc and Solaris/amd64 hosts (also Linux/i386 once to make sure) and Debian Etch (40r0, 40r2), Fedora 9 and OpenSUSE 11.0 .iso files, most of which were tested to work on real hardware when written to media. Anyway, that never was a justification for or against committing things. It just proves it ridiculous blaming Aurelien for supposedly breaking the target with those two TCG commits. Whether he introduced a regression or not, it was broken before.

Concerning the order of fixing things, you are right that converting dyngen code 1:1 to TCG would carry over any lingering bugs. On the other hand, TCG would allow testing on more platforms, likely leading to discovery of such bugs at some point.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you good luck with your projects and a little more placidness.

Salutations,

Andreas