qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu-ppc (user mode) and chroot

From: Miklos Vajna
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu-ppc (user mode) and chroot
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:24:18 +0200

Hello,

I recently found a mailing list post:

http://osdir.com/ml/emulators.qemu/2004-02/msg00162.html

That's exactly what I'm trying to set up.

I have a ppc chroot on an x86 machine - both Linux, with nptl-enabled
glibc.

I'm trying to run the following test app:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main()
{
 int pid;
 pid = fork();
 printf("child is %d\n", pid);
 if (pid == -1)
  perror("fork() failed");
 return 0;
}

When I link this statically to a linuxthreads-enabled libc on ppc, then
I can run this using qemu-ppc without any problem:

$ sudo chroot . /qemu-ppc /hello-static
child is 0
child is 29207

However, when I link it dynamically (so it will use the nptl-enabled
libc from the chroot), I get:

$ sudo chroot . /qemu-ppc /hello
child is -1
fork() failed: Invalid argument

and yes, I just checked, when I run the same dynamic executable on a
real ppc, it works just fine, so I think this is a bug in qemu.

I tried qemu-0.9.1 and svn trunk, with the same results.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks!