qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qcow2 - safe on kill? safe on power fail?

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qcow2 - safe on kill? safe on power fail?
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:13:50 +0300

Jamie Lokier wrote:
It's a simple matter of allocating, making sure the allocation is on disk, and recording that allocation in the tables.

The simple implementations are only safe if sector writes are atomic.

Opinions from Google seem divided about when you can assume that,
especially when the underlying file or device is not directly mapped
to disk sectors.

That's worrying. I guess always-allocate-on-write solves that (with versioned roots in well-known places), but that's not qcow2 any more -- it's btrfs. And given that btrfs ought to allow file-level snapshots, perhaps the direction should be raw files on top of btrfs (which could be extended to do block sharing, yay!)

signature is too narrow to contain.