qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [4799] Add instruction counter.

From: Julian Seward
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [4799] Add instruction counter.
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 18:59:29 +0200

On Friday 11 July 2008 01:04, Robert Reif wrote:
> running under valgrind produces this:
>
> valgrind --trace-children=yes qemu-system-sparc -kernel
> vmlinux-2.6.11+tcx -initrd linux.img -append "root=/dev/ram"

Minor side-note.  When running qemu on valgrind, you should give
valgrind the --smc-check=all flag, so that it correctly handles
the situation where qemu generates new code into an area where
previously there was other code (iow, after the TB is flushed).
Otherwise all hell breaks loose (in Valgrind-land).

I have the impression that this became much more important after
Paul Brook's recent changes to support a deterministic time base,
since those cause qemu to much more frequently retranslate blocks
that contain I/O instructions.  (Or something like that ...)