qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu X3100 project

From: René Rebe
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu X3100 project
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 13:47:01 +0200

Hi Vincent,

did you continue on this great undertaking? Maybe you have a new version
of the patch already implementing some more bits?

I specifically ask if you have a new version to avoid duplicate work, as I
consider getting into this to get smoother graphic for my Qemu VM
instances :-)

Yours,
 René

Vincent Hanquez wrote:
Hello QEMU ML,

I'm please to announce my qemu x3100 project. The ultimate goal is fully
emulating an intel x3100 graphic card (also known as GMA965), to be able
to hopefully support 3D in qemu guests (and any user of qemu code base).

However, the emulation is not complete yet; This is a long task, and
lots of things need to be done, fixed and better integrated. I've
started a month and a half, and at this point I think it would be useful
to share it to the qemu mailing list, since it's got some basic features
done, maybe people will be interested in helping ;)

So what does works ?
- VGA mode :)
- linux - intel drv 2.2.1 - non accelerated (32 bits depth only)
- linux - intel drv 2.2.1 - XAA acceleration (32 bits depth only)
- linux - intel drv 2.2.1 - partial EXA (32 bits only)
                            (missing some text unfortunately see below)

So what doesn't works yet:
- Anything that's related to 3d.
- tiled surfaces.
- some text in EXA since driver is using 3d engine to do some 2d stuff.
- GART, only faked at the moment.
- Windows guests when using intel drivers.
- VESA emulation.
- better switch back to VGA mode (corrupted background color ATM).

if you want to try the card, just apply the patch in attachment,
recompile, and start qemu using your usual command line and adding
-x3100. make sure you are using a 32 bits color depth in your linux
guest, and by default Xorg Intel driver will use EXA; to switch to XAA,
add in your xorg.conf near the intel driver declaration:

        Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"

There's a lots to be done, and the code need also cleanup (using correct
types, remove some ugly macros, remove bugs, etc), hence I appreciate
any encouragement, comments and/or patches ;)