qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Using GDB with Qemu : No Symbol Table?

From: Atoosah
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Using GDB with Qemu : No Symbol Table?
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:41:51 -0700

Hi,

-- I'm using qemu version 0.8.2 on linux.  I need some pointers on how
to run qemu with gdb.

[installed_qemu/bin]$./qemu mydisk.img -m 256 -s -S

-- At this point, qemu loads up and waits on port 1234. qemu's console
output is:

Waiting gdb connection on port 1234

-- But, when I run gdb, and try to put a break statement before
continuing, gdb states that there is no symbol table as shown below.
(I don't have a symbol table compiled in the a file, so can't use
"file" command.) The qemu options available to me does not have a -g
option (as I've seen used in some examples).

$gdb vmlinux
(gdb) target remote localhost:1234
Remote debuggin using localhost:1234
0x0000fff0 in ?? ()
(gdb) break main
No symbol table is loaded. Use the "file" command.
(gdb) c
Continuing.

(gdb) list
No symbol table is loaded. Use the "file" command.
(gdb) where
#0 0xc0101040 in ?? ()
#1 0xc01010ac4 in ?? ()

-- Any ideas why there would be no symbol table available to gdb? Are
there any steps I'm missing? Do I need to compile qemu differently?

thank you,
Atoosaah