qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KQEMU code organization

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: KQEMU code organization
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 10:14:40 +0200

Hi,

Am 30.05.2008 um 05:32 schrieb Mulyadi Santosa:

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 4:46 AM, Fabrice Bellard <address@hidden> wrote:

Code patching seems interesting. Although I did not look in detail, it seems that VirtualBox use it extensively and gets very good performance
without using hardware virtualization.

I second that. Beside being Qemu users, I am also now a loyal user of
VirtualBox. I guess that VBox can identify hot spot (repeating
instructions or TB) and tries harder and harder to optimize it. It
could be related to what I call "smart flush of translation cache"...
not entirely flushing cached TB but selectively doing so.

However, I also guess that VBox is tightly related to its kernel
module, thus without it ...it might be slower than Qemu/TCG..but I
have no hard data to support it.

I've tried VirtualBox on a Core Duo Mac and despite its kernel module, in my perception, it is significantly slower than Q, which does not have any hypervisor. The responsiveness to moving the mouse around is better though in VirtualBox.

Andreas