qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [4215] Nokia N800 machine support (ARM).

From: andrzej zaborowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [4215] Nokia N800 machine support (ARM).
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 01:03:28 +0200

On 17/04/2008, consul <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm getting an error when executing
>  qemu-system-arm -M n800 -kernel c:\test\zImage -m 130 ...
>  mipid_reset: Display off
>  omap_l4ta_write: Bad register 0x6800a078

These messages are only diagnostic and are happily ignored by qemu
(but there should be more of them).  If you don't want them, redirect
stderr as with "2> /dev/null".

As metioned in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2008-04/msg00282.html,
for the moment you'll need the patch to make use of the OMAP2
emulation.  After you apply the patch:

The firmware kernel is very quiet, so if it's unable to mount the
initfs, it'll hang at the blank screen.  A kernel built from sources
will dump logs on the third serial port.  To boot Linux you'll need to
provide the kernel and a flash image with at least two of the five
partitions present on it.  The flash is supplied with "-mtdblock
filename" and the file should be of 276824064 bytes (256 MB of data +
OOB data at the end).  You'll need to have the initfs and the rootfs
present in this image, and for Maemo also the "config" partition (not
my fault). Poky (pokylinux.org) boots fine with just the stock initfs
+ Poky rootfs.

To get the config partition from a device you simply need to do
# cat /dev/mtdblock1 > somefile
and copy that file over.  Redistribution of such image should be
legal, but I don't know for sure (since it only contains some
settings).

To write the partition images to the flash image use:
$ dd if=config.image of=mtd.image bs=2048 conv=notrunc seek=64
$ dd if=initfs.jffs2 of=mtd.image bs=2048 conv=notrunc seek=1280
$ dd if=rootfs.jffs2 of=mtd.image bs=2048 conv=notrunc seek=2304

This will obviously leave the OOB data invalid, but the stock Nokia
kernel doesn't seem to care because of hardware ECC.

>  zImage is the firmware kernel.
>  On both Windows and Linux hosts I get the same error and the VM hangs.
>
>  Am I missing something? What command line do you use?

$ arm-softmmu/qemu-system-arm -M n800 -m 130 -mtdblock mtdblock -sd
card -show-cursor -serial vc -serial vc -serial stdio -kernel
nokia/linux-h/arch/arm/boot/zImage -usb -s -snapshot

Regards,