qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] WE NEED GCC 4 please

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] WE NEED GCC 4 please
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:19:47 +0100

On Jan 21, 2008, at 4:39 AM, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:

Hi...

If I may jump into the pool...

I plan to work around the MinGW issue by guarding the offending part by "#ifdef GCC...", even if I have been told that it works only by chance
(but it works, whereas any other option I tried does not).

Ehm, should we better wait a bit for fabrice to complete his code code
generator? then we can be freed (totally?) from gcc version
dependency? it's not that I ignore people's effort to make qemu gcc4
compatible...but I just think it will save us from more work in the
future (making it always gcc 3 compatible) and thus progress to more
demanding area like truly support SVM/VT,  better SMP and so on.

Fabrice's code generator works for x86 and x86_64 only. In the second step it _will_ break existing miniops, so all the work put into those will be in vain.

I really don't see any valid point not to implement code that makes everything work for gcc4 if it doesn't break existing setups. Actually everyone benefits if there are alternatives. Imagine you could use qemu with gcc3, gcc4 or Fabrice's new approach (probably tcc). This way nobody needs to have a specific version of their compiler suite installed and ppc, s390 etc. will still be supported.

Support for SVM/VT is something KVM is about. I completely agree that qemu and kvm should be merged someday, but if I look at the length of discussions and amount of patches actually getting applied to qemu, I rather think it's not the right time to do it. You also get full SMP support from KVM too, so I don't see any valid point in complaining about that in qemu.

Regards,

Alex