qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu-cvs FreeBSD guests, cirrus, vmwarevga emulation - expe

From: Juergen Lock
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu-cvs FreeBSD guests, cirrus, vmwarevga emulation - experimental qemu-devel FreeBSD port update available for testing
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 23:44:50 +0100

Hi!

 Yesterday (so, just before the qemu version commit...) I prepared a
FreeBSD qemu-devel port update using the 2008-01-05_05 snapshot,
        http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/qemu/qemu-devel-20080105.patch
and I already got a report of xorg 7.3 using the cirrus emulation in a
FreeBSD 6.3 RC guest crashing with -kernel-kqemu, and hanging without it,
which he said worked with the previous qemu cvs snapshot thats still in
ports (2007-08-02_05.)  -vmwarevga worked, but still had the old problem
of causing the ne2kpci nic not to attach (ed0.)  The i82557b nic can be
used as a workaround (fxp0, its faster anyway), but I just verified with a
FreeBSD 6.2 guest (you can use e.g. a FreeSBIE livecd iso, use `su' if
you want to edit its /etc/X11/xorg.conf, after that exit the root shell
and run `startx'; I gave qemu -m 256) that -vmwarevga also still causes
the es1370 soundcard not to attach and I don't know a workaround for
that.  Also, still slirp causes qemu to crash on amd64 hosts when just
trying to access a webpage from inside a guest.

 So, can anyone reproduce any of these problems on e.g. a Linux host?
Also, more testing of the FreeBSD port update is certainly needed, also
using non-FreeBSD guests, non-i386/amd64 targets, and the new -disk option
(which I didn't yet test at all, it should e.g. allow scsi drives to be
emulated, tho very likely FreeBSD host support for the scsi passthru
feature still needs to be done, and io via qemu is probably too slow to
burn a dvd anyway. :)

 Thanx,
        Juergen

PS: I just see that 0.9.1 is actually out now, so I guess I should prepare
an update to the qemu port instead, but not today...  (and testing this one
is still useful.)