qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu vl.c

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu vl.c
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 23:36:27 +0200

Paul Brook wrote:
On Sunday 16 December 2007, Anders wrote:
Paul Brook wrote:
        Redundant timer rearm optimisation by Anders Melchiorsen.
I think this is incorrect.

When a timer is modified, we need to rearm the host timer immediately. We
can not wait for the old timer to fire, or for execution to fall back to
the main_loop_wait.  Consider the case where the guest adds a timer
interrupt and immediately enters a tight loop - Quite a common operation
when calibrating a software delay loop. The timer won't be rearmed until
some other event occurs. It the system is otherwise quiescent and you're
not using SDL output it may never occur.
Hi Paul,

I am certainly open to it not being correct, but currently I fail to see
how it changes the scenario that you mention. The rearming is moved away
from qemu_run_timers(), not qemu_mod_timer(). Can you elaborate?

It's possible that this code has always been broken. You changes make it much more obviously so.

I'm merging qemu-cvs into the kvm repository now, and with this commit in, kvm will hang after about a minute. Attaching to it with gdb or strace will cause it to resume, so this is very likely a missing signal problem.

(qemu will happily run with this patch; kvm is much more sensitive to missed signals).

--
Any sufficiently difficult bug is indistinguishable from a feature.