qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: x86_64 Best way to fix 'cast to pointer from integ

From: Stuart Anderson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: x86_64 Best way to fix 'cast to pointer from integer of different size' problems?
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 16:52:05 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Fabrice Bellard wrote:

Paul Brook wrote:
[...]
Personally I like the locking interface as it allows a zero-copy
implementation. However the kernel uses a copying interface, and my
understanding is that other qemu maintainers also prefer the copying
interface.

At least I don't think it is critical performance wise, especially if
the page flag checks are added ! Before you added the current zero copy
interface, my plan was to use a zero copy interface just for big buffers
such as the one for read/write.

By the time you consider the different combinations of targets & hosts,
most of the opportunities for zero copy are eliminated anyway. Byte
ordering and structure packing amd content differences mean that we can't
do zero-copy except in the rare circumstance that the host & target
match is all of these respects. The read & write buffers would still
benefit from zero copy, but nearly everything else has to be touched
anyway.

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               address@hidden
Network & Software Engineering                   http://www.netsweng.com/
1024D/37A79149:                                  0791 D3B8 9A4C 2CDC A31F
                                                 BD03 0A62 E534 37A7 9149