qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Build failure on OS X

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Build failure on OS X
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:37:28 +0200

On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 16:28 +0200, Andreas Färber wrote:
> Am 30.09.2007 um 15:27 schrieb J. Mayer:

> >> It does.
> >
> > OK, then I will commit this fixup, even if it may generate slower code
> > for interrupt processing (which is already something slow...).
>
> Well, slower compared to Linux certainly, but there's no fancy
> acceleration anyway. I consider working+slow better than not working
> at all.

I fully agree...

> If someone has a speedup idea for the __APPLE__ case, that could
> still be applied separately.

I guess there are some already defined macros in the Apple build
environmnet that should be used instead. But I don't know too much about
this environment... The slowdown is really not an issue in that
particular case.

> > the alias attribute is used to define a new function name that
> > actually
> > refer to another existant function, this to avoid code duplication. We
> > can easily avoid using it using an inline function for the actual
> > implementation and calling it from different places. Please take a
> > look
> > at this patch.
>
> Patch looks okay to me and compiles. Again, I have no idea about the
> implications and any performance impact.

It has no performance impact, it just duplicates one (small) function in
the generated object, which will not have any impact.

> Either way, if I run "qemu-system-ppc -boot d -cdrom debian-40r0-
> powerpc-DVD-1.iso" this is what I get:
>
> starting qemu...
> qemu: fatal: Unable to find PowerPC CPU definition
>
> NIP fffffffc LR 00000000 CTR 00000000
> Bus error

> I haven't used it in a while; as reported earlier, it didn't really
> work back then either, but it worked "more", i.e. started to boot.
> But this is with or without the patch, so unrelated - just saying I
> can't confirm that this patch works 100%.

OK, just checked and I have this problem too. Will fix it as soon as I
can.
In between, you can just try to force the CPU, adding '-cpu 750' or
'-cpu 604' to your command line.

Thanks for this report !

Regards.

--