qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Softmmu modification: Memory access functions

From: aditya bhandari
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Softmmu modification: Memory access functions
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 09:36:40 -0500

Hi,
I've been trying to figure out how to modify the softmmu for x86. I am only interested in system emulation at the moment. I've being trying to figure out the memory access functions, but the number of macros used makes this somewhat complicated. I have a few questions:
1. What is the difference between functions with suffix _mmu and those with suffix _cmmu?
2. What do the 4 values of the ACCESS_TYPE macro designate?
3. What is the difference between _raw, _kernel, and _user? Which ones are applicable to system emulation?

I also want to be able to intercept every physical memory access (I want to do some cache statistics experiments). Is there a single function (or maybe one for read and one for write) that all these accesses go through? I see several such as ldul_le_p (for example), cpu_physical_memory_rw, ldq_phys.

Thanks.

Aditya