qemu-devel

Re: [kvm-devel] [Qemu-devel] Re: expose host CPU features to guests

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [kvm-devel] [Qemu-devel] Re: expose host CPU features to guests
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 16:47:54 +0100

Avi Kivity wrote:
> >I agree. If the host OS has disabled a feature, it's a fair bet it's done
> >that for a reason.
>
> The reason may not be relevant to the guest.

For most guests the relevant features are those which work correctly
and efficiently on the virtual CPU.

If the host OS has disabled a feature, most often that's because the
feature doesn't work on the specific host CPU model, but not always.
It might be emulated well, but probably not efficiently.

In some cases, you might want a guest to see features supported by the
host CPU which the host OS has disabled, but I imagine those are
unusual - it doesn't seem very likely.  Can you give an example?

They can be enabled explicitly by the -cpuid flag if needed.

-- Jamie