qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [kvm-devel] expose host CPU features to guests

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [kvm-devel] expose host CPU features to guests
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 22:34:45 +0300

Anthony Liguori wrote:
On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 20:45 +0300, address@hidden wrote:
Hi,

It's a pity not to use a host CPU feature if it is available. This patch
exposes host CPU features to guests. It allows fine-tuning the presented
features from the command-line.

The code could use some serious clean ups, but I think it is interesting
enough right now. I'd be happy to hear your opinion and suggestions. The diff are done against qemu cvs. I tried it with kvm, but I thinkg it
should be useful also for kqemu.

I like this idea but I have some suggestions about the general approach.
I think instead of defining another machine type, it would be better to
just have a command line option like -cpuid that took a comma separate
string of features with "all" meaning all features that the host has.

I think qemu-cvs has a -cpu option for non-x86 which could be used for this. Agree machine types are the wrong approach.

I also think it would be nicer to use cpuid() directly instead of
attempting to parse /proc/cpuinfo.

Yes.

--
Any sufficiently difficult bug is indistinguishable from a feature.