qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] disk images & driver geometry

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] disk images & driver geometry
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:18:47 -0500

On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 15:09 -0400, Christopher Friedt wrote:
> Anthony Liguori wrote:
> > I have no idea what you're talking about.  QEMU doesn't care whether you
> > use a physical disk or a file.  It handles geometry the same way.
> >
> > Is there a concrete example that doesn't work that you think should?
>
> Yes, a simple example is running CentOS after a typical install from a
> hard disk image.
>
> If Qemu is started with the installation cdrom (-cdrom CentOS-1of4*.iso)
> the installation creates several partitions on the virtual disk,
> including /boot, and a logical disk containing /. The first 512 Bytes of
> the disk image are assumed to be the MBR of the disk, which is where the
> installation will write the boot loader.
>
> After installation, qemu is started with
>
> qemu -hda centos.img -boot c
>
> and it hangs after saying 'booting from hard disk'

QEMU does the Right Thing in this case.  If you're having trouble
booting, it's not because of disk geometry.

Please post a link to the exact location of your install disk, the
command you used to create the disk, the command lines you're using to
install and launch, and the version of QEMU.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori