qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Does ppc 405 support actually work ?

From: Jerone Young
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Does ppc 405 support actually work ?
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:28:04 -0500

I've been trying to get the ppc 405 support under qemu to work for a bit
for both "ppc405ref" board or "taihu" board emulation. Though I have had
no success in getting it working.

Trying them with the u-boot firmware provided on the AMCC website for
the "taihu" board, it dies somewhere just after u-boot initializes the
SDRAM controller. I am also unable to get any type of serial output out
to the serial console.

Has this code ever fully booted and worked? If so how did you get it
booting and working?

On a side note. I've been hacking with some help to try and skip
firmware with the latest Linux 4xx patches by Josh Boyer. These patches
have a device tree in them so which allows for a way to by pass the need
for firmware. But getting this to work has been challenge. The farthest
I have gotten with this technique is getting qemu to load Linux and boot
it (not fully of course...dies in early boot). But now it's a matter of
getting open firmware entries into the kernel that are not provided by
the device tree (they are expected to be passed). It's been a pain since
can't get any serial output and having to look at buffers in gdb for
output.