qemu-devel

Re: QEMU Automated Testing (was [Qemu-devel] qemu Makefile.target vl.h h

From: Dan Shearer
Subject: Re: QEMU Automated Testing (was [Qemu-devel] qemu Makefile.target vl.h hw/acpi.c hw/adlib.c ...)
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 00:42:11 +0930

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 04:58:19PM +0200, Sunil Amitkumar Janki wrote:
> Dan Shearer wrote:
> >
> >I see this as a different class of testing to the tinderbox-style
> >testing Natalia Portillo was talking about, checking out and compiling
> >under different circumstances. That's very valuable, and will help
> >address a problem that drives away a lot of potential QEMU users - they
> >just can't compile it.
>
> That would be great. I am regularly compiling and using QEMU CVS
> snapshots because features get added all the time. A lot of the time
> it happens that these build fine on x86 whereas they don't work on
> other architectures because the developers don't have access to those.
>
> I have been running self-built Slackware 12.0 on MIPS for the last
> few months and would like to run QEMU on that architecture. previously
> it built but didn't run, but now it doesn't even compile anymore. The
> error message I get is the following:

This is one of the three reasons why I say it is better to do
tinerbox-type testing inside a VM. If you could make the precise QEMU
MIPS target image that fails to build QEMU available online then it is
easier for everyone to see the context. (The other two reasons are that
it is a good workout for the simulator, and general dogfood-ness for the
developers who are forced to become aware of problems that would
otherwise only be noticed by minority users such as you :-)

> I will try to get SPARC Linux and Solaris running on my newly acquired Sun
> Enterprise 250 server and compile there as well so I can test snapshots on
> all the architectures I have at my disposal.

You do also have the architectures provided to you by QEMU :-) :-)

--
Dan Shearer
address@hidden