qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Problem with the -serial option of qemu

From: Jason Wessel
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Problem with the -serial option of qemu
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 10:44:01 -0500

The MoonSeeker wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm on gentoo 2.6.20-gentoo-r8 and I'm trying to send the serial port of my linux guest to a tcp server. To do that, i use this command :

qemu -hda linux.img -serial tcp::4000,server,nowait

And I get this error :

qemu: could not open serial device 'tcp::4000,server,nowait'

I was using the same command on Ubuntu 6.06 and that was working. I don't understand what's happen and how can I debug this?

Thx for help!
Make sure you are running the same version of QEMU in both places. Generally speaking if it says it could not open the device, it is because something else is using the port.

% netstat -an |grep 4000
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:4000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
% lsof -nP |grep 4000
redirector 15998 jwessel 3u IPv4 1661621 TCP *:4000 (LISTEN)

In this example I started up an application called redirector on the port. I do not believe this issue is a qemu defect of any kind.

Cheers,
Jason.