qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU License and proprietary hardware

From: Luke -Jr
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU License and proprietary hardware
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:00:32 -0500

On Friday 22 June 2007 12:37, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> If at the same time you make something original, which is not derived from
> the GPLed program, then you are as free as a bird to sh*t on the GPL with
> regards to your original work. You can choose whatever license, if any.

Not if you want to distribute the GPL'd work, or anything derived from it.

> The GPL is only insofar viral as you cannot take something GPLed and just
> relicense it at will. Not even when you modify it.

Then explain the difference between the LGPL and GPL. A license that preserves
itself only is pointless without other terms.

> However, writing a virtual device that just happens to be dynamically
> linkable to QEmu, but might just as well be linked to VMWare, is fine.
> This virtual device is clearly _not_ derived from QEmu.

That allows you to distribute the virtual device by itself, not alongside with
Qemu.

> Besides, QEmu's core is LGPL. Not GPL.

Good point, and makes this entire argument mostly irrelevant.

> > It is undisputed that it would be in violation if the kernel was
> > distributed with the modules.
>
> Nope. It is not undisputed.

It is undisputed by anyone who has ever considered the issue as part of
deciding whether or not to do it.

http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/ols_2006_keynote.html

> I'd rather have your virtual device open sourced, but if you cannot do
> that, I'd rather have it closed-source, than not at all.

I would never buy software without source. Hopefully someday I can apply this
to hardware as well.