qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Sparc32 network problems

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Sparc32 network problems
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 00:17:08 +0200

Hello,

I have recently upgraded from Q/qemu 0.9.0 to qemu CVS HEAD and the sparc32 Lance NIC appears to no longer work correctly.

Using Q 0.9.0d88 on a Mac OS X i386 host I was able to boot into debian-40r0-sparc-netinst.iso with qemu-system-sparc, have the NIC configured through DHCP and install to about 73% where I repeatedly got a kernel panic "Aiee".

CVS HEAD was configured on OS X ppc using no special options (-- prefix=... --target-list=sparc-softmmu). When I boot into the above installation disc, it does boot on ppc now but DHCP does not work (could not test on i386 yet due to Q's OS X patches failing against CVS HEAD). If I configure the network manually it displays an error but I am able to complete the base installation. This system then prints the following on startup:
Cleaning up ifupdown....
sunlance.c:v2.02 8/24/03 Miguel de Icaza (address@hidden)
SunLance: using auto-carrier-detection.
eth0: LANCE 52:54:00:12:34:56
done.
Configuring network interfaces...done.
LANCE unopened after 100 ticks, csr0=0032.
dcsr=a0061020
LANCE unopened after 100 ticks, csr0=0032.
dcsr=a0061020

Messages similar to the latter are also displayed when I try to ifup eth0:

LANCE unopened after 0 ticks, csr0=0032.
dcsr=a0061020
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permitted
LANCE unopened after 0 ticks, csr0=0032.
dcsr=a0061020
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permitted
Failed to bring up eth0.

(in case it's relevant: csr0 appears to be 0032 on SS-5 and ffff on SS-10, ticks 100 on SS-5 and 0 on SS-10)

Any ideas?

Andreas

P.S. Are you aware that ppc-softmmu no longer builds on OS X? I get two unresolved symbol errors.