qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] root userid remapping? ... no UID / GID variables set i

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] root userid remapping? ... no UID / GID variables set in NFS root?
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 01:48:28 -0400

On Thursday 31 May 2007 6:06 pm, Christopher Friedt wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've just gotten qemu emulating an arm system on my laptop, which I'm
> hoping to use for cross-compilation. I don't have a disk image to use
> (is there any way to create a disk image from a directory tree??), so
> I'm using NFS instead.
>
> The strange thing is, is that although I specify no_root_squash in my
> /etc/exports (and I've been using NFS for quite a long time successfully
> with other machines), only when I'm using Qemu does the user id of the
> 'init' process [0] get remapped to some completely absurd value of
> 4294967295.

You disabled CONFIG_UID16 in the EMBEDDED menu, so you don't have the legacy
system calls to query 16 bit user ids, but your program is using the old ones
rather than the new ones.  So the attempt to make said syscall is
returning -EPERM, I.E. -1.

Nothing to do with qemu, this is your kernel .config.  I'm guessing you built
a different kernel for qemu than for your host system?

Rob