qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: How to debug Linux kernel on qemu with kgdb?

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: How to debug Linux kernel on qemu with kgdb?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 08:36:05 +0200

Neo Jia wrote:
> On 4/25/07, Jan Kiszka <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Neo Jia wrote:
>> > hi,
>> >
>> > I am trying to use debug kgdb patched linux kernel on my qemu. Both
>> > the native and target platform are IA32. I am wondering if there is
>> > anyone can show me the procedure?
>>
>> Yep, see https://mail.gna.org/public/xenomai-core/2006-09/msg00202.html
>>
>> (BTW, I think that kgdb bug is still unfixed - I never got a feedback.)
>
> I can connect gdb through /dev/pts/XX. My qemu is lanuched by
>
> qemu -nographic -hda linux.img -kernel
> ./2.6.15.5-kgdb/vmlinuz-2.6.15.5-kgdb -serial pty -append "kgdbwait
> console=ttyS0 root=/dev/hda sb=0x220,5,1,5 ide2=noprobe ide3=noprobe
> ide4=noprobe ide5=noprobe"
>
> Do you know where can I get the console output?

Use "... -serial stdio -serial pty ..." and attached kgdb to the second
serial port (I think to recall that is default anyway). The first one is
then used for the kernel console.

> I would like to work out kgdb + qemu to debug linux kernel.

??? So you really want to debug the kernel when kgdb is applied, ie.
actually debug kgdb? If you only intend to debug the kernel itself, qemu
-s + gdb is enough.

Jan