qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC/experimental patch] qemu (x86_64 on x86_64 -no-kqe

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC/experimental patch] qemu (x86_64 on x86_64 -no-kqemu) compiles with gcc4 and works
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 17:04:21 -0400

On Monday 26 March 2007 1:14 pm, Axel Zeuner wrote:
> Hi Avi,
> On Sunday 25 March 2007 15:40, Avi Kivity wrote:
> > Axel Zeuner wrote:
> > > A full featured converter (cvtasm) has a lot of dependencies: it has to
> > > support all hosts (M) (with all assembler dialects M') and all targets
N,
> > > i.e. in the worst case one would end with M'x N variants of it, or M x N
> > > if one supports only one assembler dialect per host.  It is clear, that
> > > the number of variants is one of the biggest disadvantages of such an
> > > approach.
> >
> > Perhaps a mixed approach can be made for gradual conversion: for
> > combinations where cvtasm has been written, use that.  Where that's
> > still to be done, have dyngen generate call instructions to the ops
> > instead of pasting the ops text directly.
> Perhaps, but I am not sure, if the changes required for generating calls
with
> parameters to functions instead of copied code in dyngen are much smaller
> than hand written code generators. Furthermore one would surely lose some
> performance.
>
> Kind Regards
> Axel

On a related note, I have this vague urge from time to time to get qemu to
build with tcc.

Haven't even come close to making it work yet, of course... :)

Rob
--
Penguicon 5.0 Apr 20-22, Linux Expo/SF Convention.  Bruce Schneier, Christine
Peterson, Steve Jackson, Randy Milholland, Elizabeth Bear, Charlie Stross...