qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Simtec BAST emulation

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Simtec BAST emulation
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 18:45:10 +0100

On Monday 02 April 2007 14:56, Daniel Silverstone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Myself and my colleagues have worked hard and produced a new system
> emulation for qemu for the Simtec BAST board.

A few issues with the patch, which I think need to be resolved before it can
be applied:

- You're using global structures to store machine state.
While it's debatable whether you'll ever have more than one s3c2410, I think
it's definitely still worth allowing for this possibility, and encapsulating
the state in a structure, like all the other hardware emulation does.

- For the device emulation (dm9000 and ide, maybe others) you should use
pic_set_irq_new, instead of passing a separate set_irq function. Other ARM
boards already support arbitrary routing of interrupts via hw/arm_pic.[ch].

- usb_ohci_mmap_init should look more like (or even be the same function as)
usb_ohci_init_pxa.

> The emulation is complete enough to start Simtec's ABLE boot loader
> (downloadable from www.simtec.co.uk) and also is capable of being
> direct-booted with a linux kernel/initrd combination as per the
> versatile etc.

What is the licence for ABLE? Would we be able to distribute it with qemu?

Paul