qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PowerPC: Doesn't boot OS 8.5

From: C.W. Betts
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PowerPC: Doesn't boot OS 8.5
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:36:08 -0600

The reason why I posted this is because Mac OS 8.5 (maybe 8.1, I don't know...)
has a CHRP bootloader in a file called "Mac OS Rom" that's kept in the System
Folder.  It is used to boot New World ROM Macs that don't have the old ROM
code, which mostly has pre-OS X calls like QuickDraw.  This of course doesn't
affect Linux or Mac OS X.  Don't get me wrong, it still needs a ROM with Open
Firmware, but it is about 512 kB, as opposed to 4 MB.
For your entertainment, Open Firmware links:
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1167.html
http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_boot.html

While the above may be true for the g3bw machine, it is not true of the mac99,
which needs the bigger ROM in order to boot.