qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] SPARC Solaris 8: i386 guest - frequent hangs (cross-post)

From: Shaddy Baddah
Subject: [Qemu-devel] SPARC Solaris 8: i386 guest - frequent hangs (cross-post)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:04:15 +0800

Hi,

This is a cross-post from http://qemu-forum.ipi.fi/viewtopic.php?p=10639#10639.

Continuing on from http://qemu-forum.ipi.fi/viewtopic.php?p=10487#10487, I am being continually frustrated in bringing up my Debian i386 installation on my external USB drive.

I have tried both the 0.8.2 version from the opensolaris.org project, my build of 0.9.0 and my build of latest CVS (as at this email) plus my earlier emailed patch. I am now running them with this command line (the no networking bit is to try to simplify the setup, and avoid the hangs... doesn't work though):

*Code:*
qemu -m 128 -hda /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0s0 -net none -nographic

Basically, at random points, qemu hangs completely. The confirmation of this is, also at random points, I'm sending a ctrl-a h to output the command help onto the console.

*Code:*

C-a h    print this help
C-a x    exit emulator
C-a s    save disk data back to file (if -snapshot)
C-a b    send break (magic sysrq)
C-a t    toggle console timestamps
C-a c    switch between console and monitor
C-a C-a  send C-a

When the hang occurs, I get no response from inputting this key sequence.

In fact, there is obviously never a *read* call being made, because after I manually kill the process from another terminal session, the buffered inputs are being unbuffered to the shell prompt.

The most interesting hang I had was, after booting single user, and then issuing a shutdown -h now, the hang occurred after the Linux kernel outputting:

*Code:*
Power down.

I checked the message log, and there are no apparent USB IO errors.

By the way, this is all aside from the seemingly much reported general slowness of the virtual machine. It's not nice, but I don't mind it if the VM is at least stable. As it stands now, I can't risk using it, as fsck has to sort out the mess after every hang.

Any help on the matter (like how I can diagnose the problem) will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Shaddy