qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: strange crash on FreeBSD-current/amd64 (pointertrun

From: Gwenole Beauchesne
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: strange crash on FreeBSD-current/amd64 (pointertruncation?)
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 08:06:03 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Rob Landley wrote:

> Is there an LLP64 platform other than Windows-64?

I don't know, probably OS/400? Though I doubt about any interest in QEMU
there. ;-)

Or, <http://yarchive.net/comp/longlong.html>
--
1) They are indeed using "LLP64", and their goals include:
-       "Porting from win32 to win64 should be simple.

And BTW, 64-bit data representation models were discussed back to 1992 so
they probably could have started dev education by then and choose an LP64?
In practise, that would have been very difficult, IMHO.

> So far it _sounds_ like the software equivalent of Itanic...

Oh, please, don't use that silly name. This only makes me think about how
people can be clueless about the Itanium (architecture, benefits, etc.)
and what it brought. In particular, and likely not limited to, a
reasonnable C++ ABI, __sync_*() primitives in GCC, etc.

This is of course off-topic to qemu-devel@ ;-)
--
Gwenole.