qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] PXA27x processor support (XScale)

From: andrzej zaborowski
Subject: [Qemu-devel] PXA27x processor support (XScale)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 03:19:58 +0100

Hi,
 for anybody interested I uploaded a patch containing support for
Intel's PXA270 processor emulation for qemu. The patch is against
current CVS (or 0.9.0) and you can find it at

http://www.zabor.org/balrog/qemu-pxa270-and-more.patch

(450 kB). PXA is a series of embedded processors used in PDAs, mobile
phones and other devices. PXA is an ARM based system-on-chip. 27x is
the newest out of the ones produced by Intel. PXA 25x and 260 devices
can be emulated using the same code. Main additions are:

- On-chip peripherals: DMA, interrupt controller, GPIOs, sysem
timers, memory manager, clocks manager, power manager, LCD controller,
PCMCIA cards controller, MMC/SD host controller, I2C device, USB host
(OHCI), I2S controller, SSP controller, UARTs, an RTC.

- NAND memory emulation - should work for all chips supported by
Linux given the ID of the chip to emulate (small or large page).
- PCMCIA bus with hotplugging (added "info pcmcia" command for
listing sockets and inserted cards).
- an IBM/hitachi microdrive, reuses existing IDE code adding the
CF-ATA command set.
- ADS7846 touchscreen controller from Texas Instruments (used in maaany PDAs).
- Wolfson WM8750 audio codec chip (I2C slave).
- Maxim MAX1111 ADC chip.
- Maxim MAX7310 gpio expander chip (I2C slave).
- SD card emulator (unchanged from the omap support patch)
- iwMMXt coprocessor support (untested).
- some bugfixes.

I'm posting this as is because I won't have time to make a final
clean-up and I was asked for it by some persons who want to emulate
pxa270 based devices. I also want to avoid duplicating code. One case
of duplication is the I2C bus, there was a different I2C bus recently
merged in qemu. Our implementation is slightly more detailed (as need
by some I2C hosts) and does some buffering, but is 8-bit only.
(hw/i2c.h should probably be made into a template that implements 8
and 16 bit i2c included two time from vl.h).

Regards,
Andrew