qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] time inside qemu

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] time inside qemu
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 18:10:41 +0000

On Friday 29 December 2006 17:53, Màrius Montón wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I understand, OSes running inside qemu "have" notion of time: (its
> date and time works, time(1) command works, etc.).
> My question is about how qemu manages time. I need to stop and start
> again this "virtual-time".

qemu doesn't maintain virtual time, it just uses the real host time.

> I just tried with cpu_disable_ticks() and cpu_enable_ticks(). It seems
> to work partially: at least now system date and time are out of sync..

I suspect you'll find that for anything other than very coarse user (ie. user
stop/continue) these are effectively useless.

Any benchmark/performance measurements you make inside qemu are meaningless.
qemu performance bears no relation whatsoever to the performance
characteristics of real hardware.

Paul