qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] need advice on PCI board emulation

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] need advice on PCI board emulation
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 15:22:14 +0000

> I'm working on a modem PCI board emulation inside Qemu.

I misread "modem PCI board" as "modern PCI board" in your original post. The
correct response is much shorter:

>  - to emulate demodulated incoming data, I launch one thread waiting
> with blocking reads on a UDP socket.

You should use the existing serial devices.

> So, my question is :
>       Is it reasonable to use threads to emulate parallel behaviors ?

No. You should copy how the existing devices (eg. serial ports) work.

You don't need parallel operation. Modems are low-bandwith devices, so you're
not going to get any performance benefit from using multiple threads.

Paul