qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Feature requests

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Feature requests
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 01:31:35 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, David Roberts wrote:

> - proper restoration of usb with savevm/loadvm

It sounds sane. But if you think about _real_ hardware, being connected to
the host physically, and being used inside the guest, it suddenly sounds a
strange request. At least in this broad hand-waving form of "usb".

> - integrated clipboard sharing - i.e. without network dependencies

This is not really something QEmu can do without supporting
modules/extensions/dlls for _every_ guest os. Again, this is a very, very
broad request which can never be satisfied fully.

> - drag'n'drop support - i.e. dragging a file onto the qemu window copies
> it to the active guest window

Exactly the same comment applies here, too.

> - video capture - probably not vital as there are other ways to do this,
> it would just be easier if it was an option in the qemu monitor

Why don't you just use any vnc recorder?

> - an option in qemu-img to change an image's reference to it's base image

I don't know. I never needed that. What purpose do you need it for?

> - an option to use relative paths when referencing base images - so a
> collection of images is not affected when moved to another
> directory/machine

I think this is meant as a basic safety valve to avoid "pilot errors".

Ciao,
Dscho

P.S.: when I read your mail first, my instant reaction was: and what would
_I_ get out of the deal if I did just one of these?