qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] International Virtualization Conference

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] International Virtualization Conference
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:18:10 -0400

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 11:48:33AM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> > Here you are using the terms "virtual" and "emulated" interchangably. That's
> > ok as long as the difference between virtualization and virtual/emulated is
> > understood.
>
> Well, the hardware people see a huge difference.  To them one is "doing it in
> hardware" and the other is "doing it in software".

That is not how he uses the terms. He uses them interchangably.

I was just trying to make clear the difference between emulation and
virtualization.

> > If I follow your logic, then bochs is also a good canidate for the workshop.
>
> If you mean the way Hurd is a candidate for a workshop anywhere Linux is,
> sure.

I was trying to say that qemu (sans kqemu) is a bad candidate. Someone else
explains the virtualization-vs-emulation thing much better than I could (short
answer: VMware, kqemu, and other virtualizers do it in the hardware whie
emulators like qemu and bochs do fully it in the software).

>  If it's a purely academic conference where being useful doesn't enter
> into it.  (I followed Bochs and Plex86 5 years ago, but could never actually
> get them to do anything useful despite repeated attempts.  Still haven't,
> although I see Bochs is back from the dead...)

Someone else pointed it out was more a corporate marketing gig. *shrug*.

> > --
>
> And I'm sorry, but I find your tagline actively wrong:
>
> > Infinite complexity begets infinite beauty.
>
> It begets "unmaintainable" after about 5 minutes.

Natural complexity not human-made complexity :)

Think fractals here. Or those pretty pictures we get when looking at subatomic
particles.

> > Infinite precision begets infinite perfection.
>
> You've never been micro-managed, have you?

Really not what I was referring to. :P

> "Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when
> there is no longer anything to take away."
>  - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I agree.