qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] A question about QEMU performance

From: Martin Guy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] A question about QEMU performance
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:27:07 +0100

> If I run qemu for i386 without kqemu it uses soft-mmu, so it operates as
> another architetture as ppc or mips right?
> So... are the performace of qemu the same if I use i386 or mips or something
> change deeply?
> Example: if I run the same program on i386 emulation without kqemu or on
> mips are the performance circa the same?

Would you expect qemu to perform the same on an AMD 4600X2 as
a 400 Mhz MIPS?

There are some statistics at freaknet.org/martin/QEMU for various
types of x86 processor, but giving only BogoMIPS, which are way
overrated.
I presume this is cos QEMU translates the kernel speed test loop once
then runs it as x86 code, while "real" tasks need to be translated all
the time.

The only concrete figures I have are from when I timed the running of
bash's configure script, which causes a lot of program execution as
well as compiling and running lots of short test programs. The results
are in cluster.aleph1.co.uk/~martin/qemu.html (please ignore the other
garbage on that page!)