qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PCI IRQ routing problems

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PCI IRQ routing problems
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 23:32:09 +0200

Ed Swierk wrote:
Linux 2.6.17 running on the latest qemu snapshot is unable to route
IRQs to more than 4 network interfaces when running without ACPI, and
is limited to 2 network interfaces with ACPI enabled.
[...]
I suspect the problem in the non-ACPI case is caused by a limitation
in the PCI IRQ routing table in the Bochs BIOS, but I haven't a clue
how to fix it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I did not study the issue yet, but I suspect it is a Bochs BIOS issue (I remember it declares a limited number of PCI slots for example).

IMHO, all the PCI, MP table and ACPI table init should be moved to the Bochs BIOS. I did not do it because it was not strictly necessary to have something that works. A simple way to do that is to copy the relevant QEMU code in a separate section of the Bochs BIOS and to execute it by switching temporarily to 32 bit protected mode in the BIOS init code.

Fabrice.