qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Regression: QEMU 0.8.2 (and CVS) fails to boot a de

From: Aurelien Jarno
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Regression: QEMU 0.8.2 (and CVS) fails to boot a debian arm
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 19:31:46 +0200

Aurelien Jarno a écrit :
On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 11:45:37AM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
Paul Brook wrote:
There is the same problem with QEMU CVS. Note that using root=/bin/sh
works well using root on NFS and even using the emulated SCSI drive.
I think I have found the problem. Actually the system is not frozen, but
just very slow. I now get while booting the kernel:
 Calibrating delay loop... 12.16 BogoMIPS (lpj=60800)
instead of
 Calibrating delay loop... 486.60 BogoMIPS (lpj=2433024)

Note that it is with the versatilepb (or versatileab) machine, the
problem is not there with the integrator one.
I've not idea what might be causing this. It works fine for me using both machine types.

So maybe I am doing something wrong, or I have something broken in my kernel. Here is the command line I used:

qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -kernel vmlinuz -initrd initrd.gz -append "root=/dev/ram console=ttyAMA0" -nographic

The kernel and the initrd are available on http://temp.aurel32.net/arm . The initrd is actually the one from the debian-installer. To get a console, select "Go Back" to get a menu where you can select "Execute a shell".

I have compared QEMU 0.8.1, QEMU 0.8.2 and QEMU CVS, both on an i386 and an amd64 machines. Versions 0.8.2 and CVS are a lot slower than version 0.8.1, even for booting the kernel.

It would be nice if somebody could do the same tests, to make sure it is not related to my machines.

I have been able to determine that the bug has been introduced between
20060714 and 20060715, so it is hidden somewhere in the diff attached. I
will have a closer look later.

And it seems the bug is only present on SMP (or HT) hosts.

--
  .''`.  Aurelien Jarno             | GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
 `. `'   address@hidden         | address@hidden