qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] freedesktop integration

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: [Qemu-devel] freedesktop integration
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 19:10:36 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I suggest you add the files from

http://www.scratchpost.org/patches/desktop.zip

or something to that extent to enable proper UNIX desktop integration to
qemu.

I'm sure my patches are still lacking, but it's just to hint at what is
still needed.

The file "qemu.desktop" registers the application. Since it is not useful
to display an application that doesn't run without parameters in the
menus, "NoDisplay=true" is set. However, it is still useful because the
"MimeType" key denotes which file types can be handled and so a file
manager knows that for example an ISO9660 image file can be "opened"
(booted) with qemu.

I also hinted at "Desktop Action"s in there. It is commented out, but if
you want, you can add additional actions that make sense that the
file manager will show to the user to select from (i.e. if you want it to
say "Boot" instead of/in addition to "Open" :)).

I added a (very creative ;)) icon, in both a image/png version (used by
most of UNIX) and a image/x-ms-bmp file (seems to be preferred by SDL).

I patched "sdl.c" to set the window icon accordingly (which is nice since
I have an icon-only taskbar) and added a very naive "qemu-launch" program
(that currently only handles ISO9660 files properly).

Enjoy :)

cheers,
  Danny