qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Port Qemu to another ARM platform

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Port Qemu to another ARM platform
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 16:56:26 +0100

> > > Is there a documents available which decribes how to port qemu to
> > > another ARM platform or something similar?
> >
> > Not really. However qemu already supports a few different Arm boards, so
> > looking at the source should tell you most of what you need to know.
>
> But the Integrator port is the only ARM926EJ-S port, right?

The versatile board also uses an Arm926 core (as well as sharing much of the
device emulation).

> Is everythink platform specific implemented in ./hw/integratorcp.c ?

Yes. There's actually very little board specific code. Almost everything
(including interrupt controllers) are implemented as independent devices, the
board specific code just instantiates those devices.

> If my software works on qemu, does it work on a real Integrator board, too?
> Or are there some differences?

There are several bits of of hardware emulation missing (notably flash, MMC
and AACI).

Partly as a side-effect of this there's no significant bootloaded on the
emulated board. It knows how to load linux kernels (or I guess and PIC binary
image), but that's about it.

Also note that qemu isn't even vaguely cycle accurate, and doesn't accurately
model TLB or cache. It should be sufficient for most applications, but code
that does sneaky hardware specific things (like assuming a particular TLB
size or relying on cache/TLB lockdown for correct behavior) will break.

Other than that it should work just like real hardware. I'm sure there are
bugs if you look hard enough, but that's a somewhat different issue.

Paul