qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] What can qemu do that vmware/virtual pc can't...article

From: andrzej zaborowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] What can qemu do that vmware/virtual pc can't...article idea
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:15:46 +0200

Soo, do you have any more ideas what qemu can what the (free) alternatives
from M$/VMWare can't?

I must admit I haven't used Virtual PC and have no idea about what it
can do, but I tried VMWare.

In terms of using, apart from the source code, I think the biggest
advantage of QEMU is the amount of hardware it can emulate. There's a
number of input devices, graphics cards, NICs, storage devices and
above all CPUs. VMWare can do only a very little part of this, and it
doesn't emulate the CPU at all, it only virtualises it. It won't run
on a platform different than i386 or with a guest different than i386.

So, QEMU is a quite generic computer emulator and I don't know if the
word "alternatives" can be used because they don't have the
functionality that I personally exploit in QEMU.

Also, if I was forced to use VMWare for some reason, I would miss the
flexibility of -monitor, -serial, and the options related to the
graphics display, as well as the debug info I can get from QEMU.

Regards,
--
balrog 2oo6

Dear Outlook users: Please remove me from your address books
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/08/21/143258