qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: high CPU load / async IO?

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: high CPU load / async IO?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:37:56 +0200

Jens Axboe wrote:
On Tue, Jul 25 2006, Sven Köhler wrote:

So the current thread-based async dma patch is really just the wrong long
term solution.  A more long term solution is likely in the works.  It
requires quite a bit of code modification though.

I see. So in other words:

don't ask for simple async I/O now. The more complex and flexible
sollution will follow soon.

Yes, hopefully really soon.

So i will wait patiently :-)

Is anyone actively working on this, or is it just speculation? I'd
greatly prefer (and might do, if no one is working on it and Fabrice
would take it) do a libaio version, since that'll for sure perform the
best on Linux. But a posixaio version might be saner, as that should
work on other operating systems as well.

Fabrice, can you let people know what you would prefer?

I am working on an implementation and the first version will use the posix aio and possibly the Windows ReadFile/WriteFile overlapped I/Os. Anthony Liguori got a pre version of the code, but it is not commitable yet.

Fabrice.