qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU GUI-Frontend based on Libvert API

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU GUI-Frontend based on Libvert API
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 11:38:18 +0100

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 11:24:22AM -0400, Evan Paul wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >I'd actually go so far as to say - if you added support for QEMU in libvirt
> >the 'virt-manager' GUI would 'just work' without need for any further
> >coding.
> >This is one of the major points of libvirt - you can have multiple backends
> >for different virtualization technologies, but your end user applications
> >never have to really care (much) about the differences since they are
> >presented a consistent API. The only real differences will be in the range
> >of virtual hardware devices exposed by each backend & what config options
> >they allow.
>
> Dan, I have this question regarding virt-manager: Does it currently
> support actually creating VM. I see features where it provides the
> ability to configure stuff but saw nothing about creating VM.

That is the main capability under development at this time. I expect it
to be in the next release in 3-4 weeks time.

> Also, does virt-manager have support to actually install/update a
> particular VMM like XEN or QEMU (when support is avaialble) from the GUI
> interface itself. If not, that would be a good feature where users can
> download a given file within the GUI and some script would auto install
> and set it up.

Installation of the VMM itself is not a job that is applicable to this
application. There are already perfectly good applications for installing
software on Linux - RPM, Debian PKG, etc. By virtue of having the
virt-manager application installed, packaging dependancies will already
have pulled in Xen / QEMU. Windows of course is a completely different
scenario, but I know there are plenty of packaging tools for dealing
with this on Windows, although I've not used them myself.

Dan.