qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Re: QEMU GUI-Frontend based on Libvert API

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Re: QEMU GUI-Frontend based on Libvert API
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:34:34 -0500

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:39:29 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> I have toyed around with the idea of writing an XML-RPC front-end to
>> QEMU (with the idea of bridging the gap for libvirt).  DV also had a
>> patch floating around to add a socket management interface to QEMU
>> (although now there is a TCP character device so I presume his patch is
>> unnecessary).
>
> If there was a way to enumerate all running QEMU instances on a machine in
> a reasonably fast manner (ie, not reading every single /proc/PID entry),
> the existing QEMU monitor interface exposes enough functionality to
> support most of  libvirt API.

The approach I took was to have all qemu spawning be done through a single
daemon that could keep track of running instances.  In the general case, I
don't think there's a way to do it.

Plus, you want to make sure that each instance has the monitor on some
reconnectable interface.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori