qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU and m68k - Has anyone looked at the Syn68k core in

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU and m68k - Has anyone looked at the Syn68k core in Executor ?
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 22:43:28 +0200

IMHO the most interesting part of Executor is the Mac OS API emulation layer, but unfortunately it has little relation with QEMU.

Fabrice.

Armistead, Jason wrote:
I came across a product called Executor from a company called Ardi
(www.ardi.com).  Basically it's a Macintosh 68k emulator that uses a 680x0
core called Syn68k.  By the sounds of it, it does a lot of the same dynamic
recompilation as QEMU does.  The Ardi web site suggests that the code is
either going to be sold or maybe released as Open Source.

Has anyone from the QEMU project (especially Fabrice) contacted the Syn68k
authors with a view to helping some of it to "live on" in QEMU ?  I notice
the m68k support in QEMU is only at a "Dev Only" level.  Perhaps some of the
"lessons learnt" with Ardi's Executor and Syn68k would move this along
further.

The reason I came across this is that I've been looking for a HP Apollo
Domain emulator to resurrect some old Apollo systems without needing to
resurrect the hardware they ran on.  The Apollo Domain systems were Motorola
68k family machines.  For the most part, the hardware in these systems is
not that complex.  Probably on a similar footing to the Sparcstation
supported in QEMU.  Support for Apollo hardware was included into Linux 68k
/ NetBSD and OpenBSD.

Cheers

Jason