qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Insert module into kernel

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Insert module into kernel
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:36:25 +0100

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 14:15, Tieu Ma Dau wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I want to simulate the ARM system and add a simple simulated device with
> its corresponding module device driver. So:
> 1. I must run the command "insmod" to insert this module into kernel.
> But there is not this command in the ARM Linux shell
> 2. I must run the command "mknod" to make a file
> (exp: /dev/my_simulated_device) corresponding to the simulated device. But
> this command is not run because the "read only" property of file system.
> 3. I must make a small program in which I open the file by the command
> "fopen("/dev/my_simulated_device","w")" but I think that I have the problem
> as in the question 2 Do you have any idea?

None of these problems have anything to do with qemu.  They are problems with
your root FS. Qemu works exactly the same way as a real Arm machine.

The arm_test image on the qemu website is a minimal cut-down test/demo system.
It is not not intended to be a full general purpose linux system. Sounds like
you need to get yourself a proper linux install. The Debian installers work
pretty much out the box.

If you already are using a different linux distro, you need to contact whoever
supplied it.

Paul