qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] No useful documentation.

From: Larry Brigman
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] No useful documentation.
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 14:31:39 -0700

On 7/5/06, Daniel Carrera <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-05-07 at 17:12 -0400, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
> A person who is in your position (frustrated for lack of documentation)
> is actually the most qualified person to write documentation.  Feel free
> to ask any questions you have on this list.

I would be happy to contribute a section. First I need to learn how qemu
works though. Just the basics. On another list someone told me that the
way qemu works is by first creating a blank image, then booting a CD
from the virtual machine and installing.

At this point I know how to make a blank image, and I know how to boot a
CD:

qemu -cdrom /dev/cdrom

Now I need to figure out how to put these together so that if this CD
can install an operating system, qemu will know to use the blank image I
made (call it c.img) as a hard drive for its virtual machine.

Could someone tell me how to do that?

With the blank image file do the following:
qemu -boot d -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda blank_disk_image_file

the '-cdrom /dev/cdrom' option could also be -cdrom iso_image_file