qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Make -std-vga the default?

From: Kevin F. Quinn
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Make -std-vga the default?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:04:41 +0200

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 06:30:51 +0100
Paul Brook <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 June 2006 02:21, Julian Seward wrote:
> > I've been using -std-vga for a couple of weeks now, and it works
> > well at least for the guests I've been using (Win2K/XP, Red Hat 9,
> > SuSE 10.1).
>
> Really? My win2k install couldn't do anything useful with -std-vga.
> It would only do the very basic 640x480x4 mode. I'm fairly sure win9x
> can't do anything useful with straight VGA either.

Same here.  Also std-vga seemed to be slower than cirrus when I tried
it recently on my linux guests, although I haven't actually measured
anything.

> > Overall it seems to work much better than the default 5446

Julian, in what way is std-vga better than the cirrus emulation?

> > simulation and it seems to me that non-developer users, who are
> > presumably the larger fraction of the user base, would benefit from
> > having -std-vga as the default.  The "it just works" property is
> > important for new users, and -std-vga has more of that than the
> > 5446 just at the moment.
>
> In my experience the Cirrus emulation "just works", and is supported
> by pretty much every OS out the box. AFAIK Windows earlier than XP
> doesn't needs additional 3rd party drivers to support anonymous VESA
> hardware.

Seconded - the default should be the one best supported by guests out
of the box.  As it stands, that's cirrus.

--
Kevin F. Quinn