qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player

From: Oliver Gerlich
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:10:44 +0200

Joe Lee wrote:

Why on earth would we want to make a crippled version of qemu?

AFAIK "Creating" a VMware virtual machine is just making a config file.
qemu doesn't have config files, so your question makes no sense.

Well, I was not thinking or suggesting of a crippled qemu version. I asked the question because there are some software appliances which are pre-built and pre-configured apps that are built on a LAMP stack and packaged as a single image type file. This image file can be downloaded and run on a product similar to VMware Player. This is used for quick demo purposes of an application with out the need to have a full virtual machine.

What exactly do you mean / what is the actual "use case" for your idea?

Maybe you mean something like this:
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/usb-qemu.html

Btw. regarding your earlier question about a Qemu GUI similar to VMware: AFAIK at least two people have posted GUI patches for Qemu (look in the mailing list archive); so far there has been little response to that, and I suppose that these patches "just" need testing and some feedback (as they seem to be pretty intrusive, with changing the video output and the input handling stuff).

Regards,
Oliver