qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PATCH: floppy controller missing in acpi tables

From: Ben Taylor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PATCH: floppy controller missing in acpi tables
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:20:40 -0400

---- Paul Jakma <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 May 2006, Ben Taylor wrote:
>
> > (ITU), such as the DiskUpdate on tools.de/solaris/itu/DU.zip which
> > has a modifed RTL8029 driver that works with Qemu on SolarisX86.
> > Obviosly, if you boot a Solaris 10/x86 install with -B
> > acpi-user-options=0x0, you will not see the floppy.  (I see that a
> > patch is in the works for OpenSolaris, so eventually this will be
> > fixed for good on Solaris).
>
> Excellent, thanks Ben and Juergen.
>
> FWIW, the RTL8139 NIC in current Qemu /ought/ to work with the 'rtls'
> driver included with Solaris. I havn't managed to test this yet as
> Qemu CVS /seems/ still to have timeout issues with Solaris NV 39
> (booting from the install CD at least).

You have to turn off atapi-cd-dma-enabled at the initial solaris
grub boot prompt like:

hit "e" on the primary solaris install

add ",-B atapi-cd-dma-enabled=0" to the line
then hit "b" to boot.

That should get you a working install.

> Also, there was an AMD PCNet patch for Qemu (by Anthony Curtis).
> Which (possibly) Xen are using, but it is not included with Qemu.
> Solaris has a driver for this, based on the newer 'GLDv2' NIC driver
> framework.

> I tried quickly (ie i spent 5 minutes on it) porting Anthony's patch
> to the updated VLAN-client framework in Qemu, it gets recognised by
> the Solaris miniroot, but I must have missed something / made a
> mistake as Qemu crashes.

Just use the ITU from Juergen.  I've installed solaris express b39
and used the ni driver from the ITU and ti works like a champ.
(Juergen modified Murayama's ni (ne2000) driver to work correctly
with qemu).

Ben