qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] yet another proposed solution for gcc 4.x

From: Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] yet another proposed solution for gcc 4.x
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 11:02:28 -0500

<SNIP>
> Why bother? As you say gcc4 has issues other than just op.c, so why not just
> compile everything with the old gcc?

using the new gcc for the parts that can compile with it, could lead to better
performance in some cases, as well to help clean up the code for conformance
to newer standards and overall maintainability, while making also clear that
there are at least 2 different uses for gcc.

1) to compile the code for qemu to generate working binaries
2) to generate the code to be used for opcode translation

this will free us to work in whatever technical solutions are needed to fix 2)
in our own schedule without the pressure from all the people that now feel
compelled to "port" qemu to a newer gcc, because it is now the default on
their corresponding distributions.

the long term solution for 2) will be to get the qemu hand written code
generator completed, but could also include having an in tree version of gcc
that can be used for that simple purpose (like a dependant library/tool) or a
reference to an external one as a dependency, and as an intermediate step.

Carlo

PS. eventhough it wasn't the cleanest build, gcc-4.1.1 when used to build
everything but op.c resulted in working binaries on my gentoo 2006.0 amd64
system.